Saturday, July 09, 2005

Photo's!

This is my second attempt at dying. The blue was dyed in the microwave using food colours then spun and combined with white and natural wool. The single was then navajo plied. The resulting scein is 230metres long approx.

I am going to send this to my AKSP in america. I hope she likes it.


This is the very first scein that I dyed. It was a lost scein, meaning that I spun it 10 years ago at least. I think it is corriedale still had the lanolin in it and looked and felt like string. So I felt that I had nothing to loose by trying to dye it.
After soaking it with vinegar and water then draining out most of the water I added Queen food dyes and microwaved it for 10 minutes. Took it out drained it in a colender and run cold water through it until it ran clear. Next I will try to get a photo of the finished scarf. My one and only.
The yarn, after my abusing it, revealed to me a hidden side. It is now sooooo soft and fluffy! Some of the lanolin is still in residence making it a bit sticky , but when I wear the finished scarf, I am soo warm.

I am now off to knit sock for my partner. Like many Australian blokes his socks must be BLACK. So I have to knit under the brightest light I can. And my eyesight is good!

Just a quick word about the bombs in London. I feel shocked that it happened, but not surprised. For those caught in the explosions, all the best on recovery. Bring on the famous british stiff upper lip. and show these non sentiant creatures that sentiant beings are so much more EVOLVED. And have better ways of dealing with conflict and stress than an animal that just strikes out, even when it is being helped.

Well this is my opinion. Bye.

No comments: